To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana.

- Buddha

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Peace is the way.

"There is no way to peace. Peace is the way." - A.J. Muste

I have always loved this quote, for so many reasons. I love that it cuts through all the excuses and procrastinating and gets right to the point. We have to be that which we want most.

This quote feels particularly meaningful today. Not because I am all fired up about some national animal rights issue or because I am feeling like I can tackle the world. Rather, I had a moment of true peace with my toddler on my lap.

A freshly bathed and beautiful Dylan sitting on my lap, we started reading some of his books before bed. As I sat there and told him "Cow... be gentle... soft" and "pig... pretty piglet," I had the most overwhelming feeling of peace and contentment. Watching him pet the little felt square that is supposed to mimic the feeling of a cow's soft hair, I realized that he will truly know what it means to respect these animals. I can read him that book without any shame or regret, and that feeling was the most moving experience I have had in quite some time.

I hope that I am instilling in him the knowledge and conviction to be peace, rather than wondering how to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment