To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana.

- Buddha

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Blessed with great friends!

I am so happy that I get to make a post like this! Let me set up the back story...

When I first became a vegetarian, I dealt with endless amount of b.s. from "friends" and family. I had people sneak meat into my food if I left to go to the bathroom, I had little chunks of meat flicked at me across tables, and of course I had the required "mooing" while someone ate a steak near me. My most troubling memory is of my sister and I making a box of mac n' cheese (we were only 16 and 18) on Thanksgiving because my stepmother purposely cooked every single item with meat in it (bacon in the green beans, chicken stock in the potatoes, etc.)

So, as you can imagine I have developed something akin to defensiveness in social settings with omni's. History has taught me that I will be under attack.

Last night I had my monthly bunco date with the gals, and it was so much fun (as usual!). Even better, I felt so welcome and accepted in my food decisions. Wonderful hostess Tiffany went out of her way to get a vegan lasagna recipe from her dad, and it was amazing! There was no mooing or teasing.... and in fact, people were asking about vegan meal options for me for when they host. It was such a change of pace from my experiences in the past, and it felt so good to let my gaurd down.

To all my friends and family who love and support me, thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment